Rumors of a Back to the Future musical have been percolating forever—if not quite as far back as 1955, then at least since 2012, when . But it can take years to get a musical off the ground, and it’s not like the producers can just hop in a DeLorean to speed up the process.
Well, the wait appears to be over: Per , Back to the Future will finally debut at the Manchester Opera House in the U.K. next February, before presumably making its way to the Great White Way.
Bob Gale, who created the franchise with director Robert Zemeckis and is writing the musical’s book, confirmed the news. “Good things take time,” he told Playbill, “and finally, the time is right.”
We don’t know much about the musical yet, but Olly Dobson (Matilda the Musical) will inherit the role of Marty McFly from Michael J. Fox, John Rando (Urinetown) will direct, and Glen Ballard (Jagged Little Pill) will provide the score along with the movie’s original composer, Alan Silvestri.
“We’re thrilled that we can retell our story on stage in a brand-new way,” Gale said, “and we’re certain that Back to the Future fans all over the world will share our enthusiasm.”
Count us among them. Packing 1.21 gigawatts of greatness, BTTF is a practically perfect film that charms us as much on the hundredth watch as it did on the first. It’s why it tops our list of the Best 30 Time Travel Movies Ever … not that there was really any debate. We can’t wait to see how it translates to a theater setting.
Of course, the story is ironclad—it’s the new songs that are the X-factor. Crucially, Huey Lewis’ immortal “The Power of Love” will factor into the show, but as for the rest of the musical’s numbers, we’re left guessing. So guess we will.
Here are 10 songs that are bound to win a Tony:
- “Oh No, I Kissed My Mom” (Performed by Marty McFly)
- “Got the Hots (for Calvin Klein)” (Performed by Lorraine Baines)
- “Do the Gigawatt Jive” (Performed by Doc Brown)
- “(One Day I’ll Be) The Most Powerful Man in Hill Valley” (Performed by Goldie Wilson and the Hill Valley Chorus)
- “My Owner Is Insane (Please Adopt Me)” (Performed by Einstein the Dog)
- “Bad Case of Plutonium Blues” (Performed by the Libyan Terrorists)
- “The Ballad of Butthead” (Performed by Biff Tannen)
- “I Am Your Density” (Performed by George McFly)
- “No, Your Other Cousin” (Performed by Marvin Berry)
- “88 MPH (Seen Some Sh--)” (Performed by the DeLorean)